[openstack-dev] [tripleo] Log collection of overcloud nodes

John Trowbridge trown at redhat.com
Wed Mar 29 13:01:23 UTC 2017

On 03/28/2017 06:57 PM, Alex Schultz wrote:
> Hey folks,
>
> So as part of the capture-environment-status-and-logs blueprint[0],
> I'm working on adding a single command to perform status and log
> collection of the overcloud nodes via the tripleoclient that can be
> used on the undercloud.  I would like to bring up switching over to
> this as part of our CI log collection activities as many of the
> relevant logs we want are already captured via the sosreport tool.
> Additionally this is the way many operators are collecting and
> reporting their logs when submitting issues.
>
> I think this would benefit us to switch as sosreports also capture
> additional status of the services at the time of  the report and we
> can improve sosreports via plugins to help diagnose frequent service
> related problems.  I believe we're duplicating some of the items
> already covered via sosreport in tripleo-quickstart-extras[1] and I
> think it would be beneficial to not continue to duplicate this work
> but rather use already available tooling.  For CI once we have these
> sosreport bundles, it would be fairly straight forward to only extract
> relevant information for debugging use.

I think this is a great idea. Looking at the tripleo-common patch, it
seems like we will end up with a sosreport tarball in the undercloud
swift at the end?

Maybe once we have the command available in tripleoclient, we can change
the collect-logs role to instead run that command and extract logs from
the tarball so we keep the browsability of CI logs.

Also, does this mean we need to add a requirement to the packaging of
tripleo-common on sosreport?