[openstack-dev] [tripleo] Log collection of overcloud nodes

Bogdan Dobrelya bdobreli at redhat.com
Wed Mar 29 10:10:35 UTC 2017

On 29.03.2017 00:57, Alex Schultz wrote:
> Hey folks,
>
> So as part of the capture-environment-status-and-logs blueprint[0],
> I'm working on adding a single command to perform status and log
> collection of the overcloud nodes via the tripleoclient that can be
> used on the undercloud.  I would like to bring up switching over to
> this as part of our CI log collection activities as many of the

That's a great effort, thank you for doing that! Personally, that is the
number one topic I'd like to have smooth UX with. Not even to mention
ops and production environments, when tripleo CI fails, devs get stuck
with patches and would be nice them to get the way out *fast* and
*easy*. Note, there is a CI scripts for getting some of the logs as
well, and this improvement [0] for you kind review please.

[0] https://review.openstack.org/#/c/449552/

> relevant logs we want are already captured via the sosreport tool.
> Additionally this is the way many operators are collecting and
> reporting their logs when submitting issues.
>
> I think this would benefit us to switch as sosreports also capture
> additional status of the services at the time of  the report and we
> can improve sosreports via plugins to help diagnose frequent service
> related problems.  I believe we're duplicating some of the items
> already covered via sosreport in tripleo-quickstart-extras[1] and I
> think it would be beneficial to not continue to duplicate this work
> but rather use already available tooling.  For CI once we have these
> sosreport bundles, it would be fairly straight forward to only extract

++ couldn't agree more on that (did you miss the link for the sosreport
bundles?)

> relevant information for debugging use.
>
> If you have some time, please review the outstanding reviews[2] and
> provide concerns around possibly switching over to relying on
> sosreport for our log collection.

I encourage everyone to join you and to do review as well. It is hard to
overestimate the importance of logs collection for both dev and ops worlds!

PS. Would be nice to adapt those sosreports and GSS diag tools w/
plugins to automate collection and submission of known CI bugs for the
elastic-recheck [1] status for tripleo. Not sure it that falls into
that topic's scope though. But it is yet another important development
workflow shortcut for getting out of (known) troubles fast.

[1] http://status.openstack.org//elastic-recheck/index.html#1630664

> Thanks,
> -Alex
>
> [0] https://blueprints.launchpad.net/tripleo/+spec/capture-environment-status-and-logs