[openstack-dev] [all][tc] OpenStack is for applications

Zane Bitter zbitter at redhat.com
Wed Mar 29 00:14:17 UTC 2017

Hello OpenStackists,
One of the great strengths of our community is the way our panoply of
teams can make independent progress towards our goals with a breadth
that no one person or group could hope to keep track of, let alone
control. However, for this to work then from time to time we need to pop
our heads up from our silos to ensure that we are all, in fact, pointed
in roughly the same direction.

The recent thread on "The future of the App Catalog"[1] (it went waaay
off-topic) made it clear, I think to everyone involved, that this is one
such moment. There is a significant disconnect between what application
developers need OpenStack to be and how our community as a whole has
conceptualised what OpenStack is and what it's for. To try to close that
gap, dims asked me to write up a TC resolution that can help us all to
start pulling in the same direction, and the TC has helped me to tweak
the wording:

https://review.openstack.org/447031

Now it's your turn. If we can all agree on what the meaning of our
mission is then we'll get where we're going a lot faster. Please take a
few minutes to review the resolution to make sure we're all on the same
page, ask questions, or suggest alternatives.

thanks,
Zane.

[1]
http://lists.openstack.org/pipermail/openstack-dev/2017-March/113362.html