[openstack-dev] [Tripleo] Status of monitoring tools

Steven Hardy shardy at redhat.com
Tue Mar 28 13:17:44 UTC 2017

On Tue, Mar 28, 2017 at 04:34:09PM +0530, Sanjay Upadhyay wrote:
>    Hi Folks,
>    I recently started work with a requirement to integrate a security tool
>    with monitoring framework for alerting and logging. I fail to  find
>    relevant docs in this direction. After looking around for more
>    information, it seems we do not have the server side implementation at
>    all.
>    I have created a bug for
>    this https://bugs.launchpad.net/tripleo/+bug/1676407. IMO,
>    architecturally we have no place for opstools in the tripleo deployment,
>    yet.

I think we are mixing two different problems here - one is the current
composable services integration for fluentd and sensu isn't documented, we
should fix that.

>    Ideally, there could be a role like MonServer, which can be a specific
>    role for all the monitoring services (server side). If one wants to reduce
>    the no of nodes can probably have all the monitoring services on the
>    controller node.

This is a different problem, and IIRC we agreed that only client side
support for monitoring tools was in-scope for TripleO.  The expectation is
that folks will stand up a separate logging/monitoring environment, or that
they will have existing servers to integrate with.

There have been discussions around how to deploy such services, and AFAIK
the suggestion is to use this ansible solution:

https://github.com/centos-opstools/opstools-ansible

AFAIK there is no plan to deploy these tools via TripleO (and IMO that's
correct, we don't really want to duplicate efforts here).

Thanks!

Steve