[openstack-dev] [tripleo] patch abandoment policy

Flavio Percoco flavio at redhat.com
Mon Mar 27 11:49:30 UTC 2017

On 24/03/17 17:16 -0400, Dan Prince wrote:
>On Thu, 2017-03-23 at 16:20 -0600, Alex Schultz wrote:
>> Hey folks,
>>
>> So after looking at the backlog of patches to review across all of
>> the
>> tripleo projects, I noticed we have a bunch of really old stale
>> patches. I think it's time we address when we can abandon these stale
>> patches.
>>
>> Please comment on the proposed policy[0].  I know this has previously
>> been brought up [1] but I would like to formalize the policy so we
>> can
>> reduce the backlog of stale patches.  If you're wondering what would
>> be abandoned by this policy as it currently sits, I have a gerrit
>> dashboard for you[2] (it excludes diskimage-builder) .
>
>I think it is fine to periodically review patches and abandon them if
>need be. Last time this came up I wasn't in fan of auto-abandoning
>though. Rather I just made a pass manually and did it in fairly short
>order. The reason I like the manual approach is a lot of ideas could
>get lost (or silently ignored) if nobody acts on them manually.
>
>Rather then try to automate this would it serve us better to add a link
>to your Gerrit query in [2] below to highlight these patches and
>quickly go through them.

I used to do this in Glance. I had 2 scripts that ran every week. The first one
would select the patches to abandon and comment on them saying that the patches
would be abandoned in a week. The second script abandoned the patches that had
been flagged to be abandoned that were not updated in a week.

It was easy to know what patches needed to be checked since these script ran w/
its own user (Glance Bot). I believe this worked pretty well and the Glance team
is now working on a better version of that bot.

I'd share the scripts I used but they are broken and depend on another broken
library but you get the idea/rule we used in Glance.

Flavio

--
@flaper87
Flavio Percoco