[openstack-dev] [all][api] POST /api-wg/news

Chris Dent cdent+os at anticdent.org
Thu Mar 23 17:44:46 UTC 2017

Greetings OpenStack community,

An after an initially slow start, today's meeting turned into a rollicking good time. Probably because we talked about microversions.

First we discussed the need to clarify that the API-WG is governed by TC (Technical Committee) not the UC (User Committee). The rule of thumb for working groups is: did you go to the PTG or the Ops Meetup. We went to the PTG and had two very productive days. Over the next few days we'll find the bits of documentation that need to be cleared up and make sure pointers point the right places.

We then discussed whether the point of the API-WG is the guidelines it creates or the discussions that lead to the creation of those guidelines and the overall better understanding of how to achieve consistency and correctness in OpenStack APIs. What was first thought of as a fairly simple question turned into a spirited debate spiralling out to a plan to audit the API-WG's mission statement [2] for its own consistency and correctness. elmiko has the ball for that, but since he'll be away next week we won't pick it up until the week following.

We moved on from there to talk about the stability guidelines (linked in under review below). We're getting very close, but are stuck on whether it is worthwhile including some information about alternatives (either expressing them as true alternatives, or explaining why they won't work). edleafe and mugsie are going to work to bring this to a close next week. If you are interested in this topic the logs at http://eavesdrop.openstack.org/meetings/api_wg/2017/api_wg.2017-03-23-16.00.log.html#l-116 may be worth a look.

This summary does not do justice to the level of investment and interest that was present in today's meeting. Thanks to everyone who showed up.

# Newly Published Guidelines

Nothing new this week.

# API Guidelines Proposed for Freeze

Guidelines that are ready for wider review by the whole community. Nothing at the moment, but feel free to get in early on the reviews below.

# Guidelines Currently Under Review [3]

* Define pagination guidelines (recently rebooted)
   https://review.openstack.org/#/c/446716/

* Create a new set of api stability guidelines
   https://review.openstack.org/#/c/421846/

* Microversions: add next_min_version field in version body
   https://review.openstack.org/#/c/446138/

* Mention max length limit information for tags
   https://review.openstack.org/#/c/447344/

* Add API capabilities discovery guideline
   https://review.openstack.org/#/c/386555/

* WIP: microversion architecture archival doc (very early; not yet ready for review)
   https://review.openstack.org/444892

# Highlighting your API impacting issues

If you seek further review and insight from the API WG, please address your concerns in an email to the OpenStack developer mailing list[1] with the tag "[api]" in the subject. In your email, you should include any relevant reviews, links, and comments to help guide the discussion of the specific challenge you are facing.

To learn more about the API WG mission and the work we do, see OpenStack API Working Group [2].

Thanks for reading and see you next week!