[openstack-dev] [qa][cinder] RFC: Cinder test on Tempest

Ghanshyam Mann ghanshyammann at gmail.com
Thu Mar 23 00:28:38 UTC 2017

On Thu, Mar 23, 2017 at 7:02 AM, Ken'ichi Ohmichi <ken1ohmichi at gmail.com>
wrote:

> > On Wed, Mar 22, 2017 at 8:31 PM Sean McGinnis <sean.mcginnis at gmx.com>
> wrote:

> Cinder
> >> >

> > I guess this job would run against tempest and cinder only?
>
> A nice point, I think so.
>
> >> +1 I like this idea.

> microversions

​+1, this looks better as no more version specific tests and all v2 tests
should run as it is on v3 base version.​

> >> I like the last one better as well.
> >>
> > My favourite option would be that that generates less churn in the code
> :)
> > One folder for everything means moving 4 or 5 modules only, so I think
> that
> > would
> > be a good option.
> >
> > I would prefer to avoid though having a lot of v3 test classes that
> inherit
> > from
> > v2 test classes, and just set _api_version = 3.
>
> Yeah, I agree :-)

​yea we should not have that.

> > As long as we can assume we will never run v2 and v3 in the same job, we
> > could
> > have cinder_api_version as a configuration setting, to determine which
> > cinder
> > endpoint to hit when running the volume tests.
>
> Or it would be enough to have the existing "catalog_type",
> "min_microversion" and "max_microversion" only without api_v1/v2/v3 to
> control the target API version, because of the above separated gate
> jobs.

​Yes, so devstack does set different catalog for v2 and v3 [0]​. Based on
those catalog_type configured on tempest config(we already have that for
volume API config) auth can select the right endpoints to make the API call.

All existing tests can be run for both API without any extra class or
change. This way we can get rid of 'api_version' in all volumes clients and
have them as single copy for v2 and v3 base.
Further v3 microversion tests can be implemented as accordingly by sending
the microversion header on API request. and devstack can tell Temepst not
to set microversion if catalog_type volume_v2 is being asked to run the
tests.

As you mentioned it can be same way we handle compute v2, v2.1 and +
microversion tests.

> > Apart from the volume tests, if we split the gate jobs into standard one
> > running v3
> > plus and extra v2 one, we should make sure that all tests that use the
> > volume API
> > use a consistent version of the volume API. Nova as well should be
> > configured if
> > possible to use the same volume API version.
>
> This also is a nice point.
> Nova team also has a plan to use cinder v3 as the default in Pike.
> We have consistent direction now.
>
> Thanks

​.. 0
http://git.openstack.org/cgit/openstack-dev/devstack/tree/lib/cinder#n403