[openstack-dev] [qa][cinder] RFC: Cinder test on Tempest

Ken'ichi Ohmichi ken1ohmichi at gmail.com
Wed Mar 22 20:08:23 UTC 2017

Hi,

Now we need to update Tempest for following Cinder API status.
I have an idea for restructuring and happy to see feedback about that.

Now Cinder API status is
  V1: Deprecated
  V2: Deprecated
  V3: Current
V1 API tests have been removed from Tempest side already, so we just
need to concentrate on V2 and V3 now.

**Gate jobs**
Most Cinder tests are implemented for V2 API on Tempest side and the
base microversion of V3 is the same as V2.
Then we can re-use V2 API tests for the base microversion of V3 API.
One idea is that we can have Cinder V3 API tests as the default on the
gate jobs and the V2 API tests as another job like the following
because the V2 API is deprecated.

  gate-tempest-dsvm-neutron-full-ubuntu-xenial - (existing job):
testing Cinder V3 API
  gate-tempest-dsvm-py35-ubuntu-xenial - (existing job): testing Cinder V3 API
  gate-tempest-dsvm-neutron-full-ubuntu-xenial-cinder-v2: (new job):
testing Cinder V2 API

We had the same testing way for Nova V2 API and V2.1 API before, and
we could avoid copy&paste V2 test code for V2.1 API on Tempest.

**Test Structure**
Current test structure is like:
  tempest/api/volume/  - V2 API tests
  tempest/api/volume/v2 - V2 API tests
  tempest/api/volume/v3 - V3 API tests
Yes, this is mess.
For re-using V2 API tests for V3 API, it would be better to remove
"v2" from V2 API tests for avoiding confusions.

A new structure could be
  tempest/api/volume/  - All tests for V2 API and the base
microversion of V3 API
  tempest/api/volume/v3 - V3 API specific tests for newer microversions
or
  tempest/api/volume/  - All tests for V2 API and V3 API which
includes newer microversions

As the reference, Nova API structure is like the later.

Any thoughts?

Thanks
Ken Ohmichi