[openstack-dev] [oslo][barbican][castellan] Proposal to rename Castellan to oslo.keymanager

Adam Harwell flux.adam at gmail.com
Wed Mar 22 09:16:54 UTC 2017

I have been a fan of this from the very beginning of the project as well. I
think oslo is the obvious correct place for a library that should define
core interfaces for use by many openstack projects.

Also, whether you have seen it or not, I have *definitely* seen real
instances where people shied away from using castellan or contributing to
it because it seemed "no different than just barbican, created and owned by
the same people". That was never the goal, and though it's difficult to
point to specific instances, there were many times during discussions that
I thought explaining it was part of oslo would have totally changed the
tone and direction of the conversation.

The naming of things is no joke -- there is significant psychological
emphasis given to the "name of a thing" that can be seen in many cultures
all through literature and tradition. Some of you may think of this as a
meaningless gesture, but I am personally very sure it is not.

+1 from me as an interested user/contributor. Personally I'd go in for the
complete rename to oslo.keymanager, but just oslo is a good start.

    --Adam Harwell