[openstack-dev] [networking-sfc] About insertion modes and SFC Encapsulation

Vikash Kumar vikash.kumar at oneconvergence.com
Tue Mar 21 17:46:27 UTC 2017

Hi Igor,

On Tue, Mar 21, 2017 at 10:02 PM, Duarte Cardoso, Igor <
igor.duarte.cardoso at intel.com> wrote:

> Hi Vikash,
>

> It’s best to start with RFC 7665.
>

> NSH decouples traffic forwarding from both the internals of packets and
> service functions. A special entity called SFF will take on that job. L2/L3
> then become something that the SFF might have to deal with it.

​which means it can co-exist with (L2/L3 insertion mode) and not
necessarily mutually exclusive.
​

> However, networking-sfc API doesn’t expose or require details about
> individual SFC dataplane elements such as the SFF… it is up to the
> backend/driver to know those low-level details.

​Agree.

> NSH doesn’t classify and forward traffic itself. It’s only a header that
> identifies what and where in the chain the packet belongs to/is (plus other
> goodies such as metadata). Classifier will classify, SFF will forward.

​   I was referring to NSH in totality and not excluding SFF (
https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-sfc-nsh-12). Look like I extended
the scope of NSH in term of  SFC. ​

> By the way, I left a question on the tap blueprint whiteboard, I’ll copy
> it here too:
>
> “Is there a use case for "tap chains"? I.e. not only you send traffic to
> your tap function, but then your tap function also sends traffic to a next
> hop too, so a full chain starts after traffic gets tapped at the first
> chain (the first chain also continues).”
>
> I suppose the answer is no since you mentioned “Note - TAP SFs do not
> forward packet”, but I’m happy to hear extended info about this – from
> anyone reading.
>

> Best regards,
>
> Igor.

Regards,