[openstack-dev] [magnum][osc] What name to use for magnum commands in osc?

Dean Troyer dtroyer at gmail.com
Mon Mar 20 21:18:42 UTC 2017

On Mon, Mar 20, 2017 at 3:37 PM, Adrian Otto <adrian.otto at rackspace.com> wrote:
> the <command> argument is actually the service name, such as “ec2”. This is the same way the openstack cli works. Perhaps there is another tool that you are referring to. Have I misunderstood something?

I am going to jump in here and clarify one thing.  OSC does not do
project namespacing, or any other sort of namespacing for its resource
names.  It uses qualified resource names (fully-qualified even?).  In
some cases this results in something that looks a lot like
namespacing, but it isn't. The Volume API commands are one example of
this, nearly every resource there includes the word 'volume' but not
because that is the API name, it is because that is the correct name
for those resources ('volume backup', etc).

> We could so the same thing and use the text “container_infra”, but we felt that might be burdensome for interactive use and wanted to find something shorter that would still make sense.

Naming resources is hard to get right.  Here's my throught process:

For OSC, start with how to describe the specific 'thing' being
manipulated.  In this case, it is some kind of cluster.  In the list
you posted in the first email, 'coe cluster' seems to be the best
option.  I think 'coe' is acceptable as an abbreviation (we usually do
not use them) because that is a specific term used in the field and
satisfies the 'what kind of cluster?' question.  No underscores
please, and in fact no dash here, resource names have spaces in them.

dt

--

Dean Troyer
dtroyer at gmail.com