[openstack-dev] [telemetry] Moving Gnocchi out

gordon chung gord at live.ca
Mon Mar 20 17:10:06 UTC 2017

On 20/03/17 11:37 AM, Thomas Goirand wrote:

> I really don't understand why the Telemetry team insists in being
> release-independent, out of big tent and such, when the reality is that
> all of released Telemetry components are *very tightly* bound to a
> specific versions of OpenStack. IMO, it doesn't make sense upstream, or
> downstream of Telemetry.

i believe the tightly coupled perception between gnocchi+ceilometer is a
misconception. ceilometer can be configured to output to various targets
that are not gnocchi. based on dev questions in irc, this is a common
workflow that people are actively leveraging. aodh and panko are
definitely more bound to ceilometer as they don't have any other sources
(currently).

> Now, having Gnocchi out of the OpenStack infra is to me a step in the
> wrong direction. We should aim at full integration with the rest of
> OpenStack, not getting out.

i should re-iterate, this won't change our testing or integration.
ceilometer has a gate that ensures compatibility with gnocchi as a
target. this will remain and the auto-scaling
aodh+ceilometer+gnocchi+heat use case will continue to be validated. not
sure how we can quantify/qualify 'full integration' but we remain
committed to ensuring gnocchi+ceilometer works.

the use case for gnocchi is generic. if you have to store a bunch of
timestamp+value data, use gnocchi. the use case definitely fits
openstack's requirement, but i believe you can see it isn't just limited
to that.

i'm glad we have your opinion here, i had previously asked jd about
effects on packaging and while i think Red Hat has a plan already, it'd
be interesting to get your feedback on how this will affects other distros.

cheers,

--
gord