[openstack-dev] [telemetry] Moving Gnocchi out

Chris Friesen chris.friesen at windriver.com
Mon Mar 20 16:36:27 UTC 2017

On 03/20/2017 10:10 AM, Chris Dent wrote:
> On Mon, 20 Mar 2017, Thomas Goirand wrote:
>
>> I really don't understand why the Telemetry team insists in being
>> release-independent, out of big tent and such, when the reality is that
>> all of released Telemetry components are *very tightly* bound to a
>> specific versions of OpenStack. IMO, it doesn't make sense upstream, or
>> downstream of Telemetry.
>
> This simply isn't the case with gnocchi. Gnocchi is an independent
> timeseries, metrics and resources data service that _happens_ to
> work with OpenStack.
>
> By making it independent of OpenStack, its ability to draw
> contribution and engagement from people outside the OpenStack
> community increases. As a result it can become a better tool for
> more people, including OpenStack people. Not all, or even many, of
> the OpenStack projects are like that, but gnocchi is. More eyes,
> less bugs, right?

I'm curious why being independent of OpenStack would make it more attractive.

Is the perception that requiring people to sign the Contributor Agreement is
holding back external contribution?  Or is it just that the mere idea of it
being an OpenStack project is discouraging people from getting involved?

Just as an example, if I want to get involved with libvirt because I have an
itch to scratch the fact that it's basically a RedHat project isn't going to
turn me off...

Thanks,
Chris