[openstack-dev] [kolla][kolla-kubernetes][helm] global value inconsistent cause install result unpredicatable

Fox, Kevin M Kevin.Fox at pnnl.gov
Fri Mar 17 16:42:47 UTC 2017

Commented on the bug.
________________________________
From: Hung Chung Chih [lyanchih at gmail.com]
Sent: Thursday, March 16, 2017 11:35 PM
To: openstack-dev at lists.openstack.org
Subject: [openstack-dev] [kolla][kolla-kubernetes][helm] global value inconsistent cause install result unpredicatable

Hi all,
This is my first time to send mailing list, if I had made mistake please tell me, thank you.

When I try to helm install keystone service, I found it can installed succeeded but sometimes will failed with unexpected nil value for field spec.externalIPs[0]. Then I report bug at launchpad [1].

Then I found this issue was occurred because of there is one variable which exist at different micro service. For example, the global.kolla.keystone.all.port_external variable at keystone-itnernal-svc and keystone-public svc, one is true and the other is false. Before helm install package, it will catch all chart’s values inside package. However later char’s value will overwrite previous chart’s value. This will cause the final value will become unpredictable. This issue will not happened in normal helm use case. Because of usually subchart will have its own values and helm’s global value don’t support nesting yet [2].

In my view, it is a critical issue. Because of the install result will possibly be inconsistent between different install. I just suggest maybe me can add one test validate, which will validate whether there is any one variable that is conflict at different micro services in all_values.yaml

[1] https://bugs.launchpad.net/kolla-kubernetes/+bug/1670979
[2] https://github.com/kubernetes/helm/blob/master/docs/charts.md