[openstack-dev] [dib][heat] dib-utils/dib-run-parts/dib v2 concern

Ian Wienand iwienand at redhat.com
Thu Mar 16 04:08:23 UTC 2017

On 03/16/2017 08:22 AM, Ben Nemec wrote:
> Anyway, I don't know that anything is broken at the moment since I
> believe dib-run-parts was brought over unchanged, but the retirement of
> dib-utils was proposed in https://review.openstack.org/#/c/445617 and I
> would like to resolve this question before we do anything like that.

The underlying motivation behind this was to isolate dib so we could
do things like re-implement dib-run-parts in posixy shell (for busybox
environments) or python, etc.

So my idea was we'd just leave dib-utils alone.  But it raises a good
point that both dib-utils and diskimage-builder are providing
dib-run-parts.  I think this is probably the main oversight here.

I've proposed [1] that makes dib use dib-run-parts from its private
library dir (rather than any globally installed version) and stops it
exporting the script to avoid conflict with dib-utils.  I think this
should allow everything to live in harmony?

-i

[1] https://review.openstack.org/#/c/446285/