[openstack-dev] [tripleo][heat] Heat memory usage in the TripleO gate: Ocata edition

Zane Bitter zbitter at redhat.com
Wed Mar 15 21:53:04 UTC 2017

On 15/03/17 15:52, Joe Talerico wrote:
> Can we start looking at CPU usage as well? Not sure if your data has
> this as well...

Usage by Heat specifically? Or just in general?

We're limited by what is logged in the gate, so CPU usage by Heat is
definitely a non-starter. Picking a random gate run, the Heat memory use
comes from this file:

http://logs.openstack.org/27/445627/2/check-tripleo/gate-tripleo-ci-centos-7-ovb-nonha/9232979/logs/ps.txt.gz

which is generated by running `ps` at the end of the test.

We also have this file (including historical data) from dstat:

http://logs.openstack.org/27/445627/2/check-tripleo/gate-tripleo-ci-centos-7-ovb-nonha/9232979/logs/dstat.txt.gz

so there is _some_ data there, it's mostly a question of how to process
it down to something we can plot against time. My first guess would be
to do a box-and-whisker-style plot showing the distribution of the 1m
load average during the test. (CPU usage itself is generally a pretty
bad measure of... CPU usage.) What problems are you hoping to catch?

cheers,
Zane.