[openstack-dev] [oslo][devstack][all] ZooKeeper vs etcd for Tooz/DLM

Clark Boylan cboylan at sapwetik.org
Wed Mar 15 16:50:49 UTC 2017

On Wed, Mar 15, 2017, at 06:19 AM, Monty Taylor wrote:
> On 03/15/2017 11:37 AM, Davanum Srinivas wrote:
> > Monty, Team,
> >
> > Sorry for the top post:
> >
> > Support for etcd/tooz in devstack (with file driver as default) -
> > https://review.openstack.org/#/c/445432/
> >
> > As of right now both zookeeper driver and etcd driver is working fine:
> > https://review.openstack.org/#/c/445630/
> > https://review.openstack.org/#/c/445629/
> >
> > The problem we have from before is that we do not have any CI jobs
> > that used zookeeper.
> >
> > I am leaning towards just throwing the etcd as default and if folks
> > are interested in zookeeper then they can add specific CI jobs with
> > DLM_BACKEND variable set.
>
> That doesn't bother me - zk as the default choice was because at the
> time zk worked and etcd did not.
>
> That said - etcd3 is a newer/better thing - so maybe instead of driving
> etcd home as a default before we add etcd3 support, we just change tooz
> to support etcd3, add the devstack jobs to use that, and start from a
> position that doesn't involve dealing with any legacy?

One logistical concern that no one else seems to have pointed out on
this thread yet is that the example devstack setup linked at the
beginning of the thread
(http://git.openstack.org/cgit/openstack/dragonflow/tree/devstack/etcd_driver)
grabs tarball from github to perform the etcd3 installation. Looks like
Fedora and CentOS may have proper packages for etcd3 but Ubuntu does
not.

For reliability reasons we probably do not want to be grabbing this
tarball from github on every job run (particularly if this becomes a
"base service" installed on every devstack job run).

Clark