[openstack-dev] [tc][appcat] The future of the App Catalog

Zane Bitter zbitter at redhat.com
Wed Mar 15 16:36:38 UTC 2017

On 15/03/17 08:45, Sean Dague wrote:
> On 03/13/2017 05:10 PM, Zane Bitter wrote:
> <snip>
>>> I'm not sure I agree. One can very simply inject needed credentials
>>> into a running VM and have it interact with the cloud APIs.
>>
>> Demo please!
>>
>> Most Keystone backends are read-only, you can't even create a new user
>> account yourself. It's an admin-only API anyway. The only non-expiring
>> credential you even *have*, ignoring the difficulties of getting it to
>> the server, is your LDAP password. Would *you* put *your* LDAP password
>> on an internet-facing server? I would not.
>
> So is one of the issues to support cloud native flows that our user auth
> system, which often needs to connect into traditional enterprise
> systems, doesn't really consider that?

Yes, absolutely.

Keystone kinda sorta has a partial fix for this. Different domains can
have different backends, so you can have one read-only domain for
corporate user accounts backed by LDAP/ActiveDirectory and another
read/write domain backed by Sqlalchemy.

In fact this is how Heat gets around this - we require operators to
create a DB-backed heat_stack_users domain, we create accounts in there,
and then we give them special permissions (not granted by their keystone
roles) for the stacks they're associated with in Heat. It's messy and
other projects (like Kuryr) don't automatically get the benefit.

Nor does it help end users at the moment. There's no domain that
guaranteed to be set up for them to create user accounts in (certainly
not one that's consistent across multiple OpenStack clouds), and even if
there were only admins can create user accounts on most clouds (IIUC
Rackspace is one notable exception to this, but we need stuff that's
consistent across clouds).

> I definitely agree, if your cloud is using your LDAP password, which
> gets you into your health insurance and direct deposit systems at your
> employeer, sticking this into a cloud server is a no go.
>
> Thinking aloud, I wonder if user provisionable sub users would help
> here. They would have all the same rights as the main user (except
> modify other subusers), but would have a dedicated user provisioned
> password. You basically can carve off the same thing from Google when
> you have services that can't do the entire oauth/2factor path. Fastmail
> rolled out something similar recently as well.

This sounds like a good idea, and could definitely be part of the
solution. If you read an AWS getting started guide pretty much all of
them have as Step #1 creating an IAM account to use with your project so
that you basically never have to use the credentials of your master
account, which is connected to your billing. (I suspect the reason is
that most people seem to end up accidentally checking their AWS
credentials into a public GitHub repo at some point. ;)

It's not a total solution, though. A user account that has all of your
permissions can still do anything you can do, like e.g. delete your
whole application and all of its data. And backups. In fact, it can do
that in all of the projects you have a role in. (The latter is fixable,
by creating a user that has _no_ permissions instead, so you can then
delegate your roles to them one at a time using a trust, or
alternatively just by choosing which roles it inherits.)

So ultimately we need to give cloud application developers total control
over what the accounts they create can and cannot do - so an application
can, e.g. scale itself and heal itself but not delete itself.

cheers,
Zane.