[openstack-dev] [oslo][barbican][castellan] Proposal to rename Castellan to oslo.keymanager

Brant Knudson blk at acm.org
Wed Mar 15 15:27:49 UTC 2017

On Wed, Mar 15, 2017 at 5:18 AM, Thierry Carrez <thierry at openstack.org>
wrote:

> Julien Danjou wrote:
> > On Tue, Mar 14 2017, Clint Byrum wrote:
> >
> >> +1 for just pulling it under the oslo umbrella but not renaming it. As
> >> much as I like the uniformity oslo.keymanager would bring, I think it's
> >> already adopted well enough we just want to make it clear that it is
> >> blessed and ok to adopt.
> >
> > I don't even get why moving it under the Oslo umbrella is a win.
> >
> > What's the current problem people are trying to solve here?
>
> It's a governance problem. Basically if the abstraction layer is under
> the control of the same group as one of the drivers, it's not really an
> abstraction layer, and nobody will adopt it or develop another driver
> for it.
>
> See Clint's first answer in the thread for a more detailed explanation.
>
> --
> Thierry Carrez (ttx)

Can the Castellan team be broken out into a new project under the big tent
rather than having to go under oslo? Oslo as a catch-all made more sense
before the big tent. Also, I always thought part of the deal of moving
under oslo is that oslo core reviewers have +2 authority on the repos, but
it doesn't look like that's part of the proposal here which was a rename
and now is changing launchpad to make Castellan a subproject under oslo
(along with some documentation changes).

- Brant