[openstack-dev] [oslo][kolla][openstack-helm][tripleo][all] Storing configuration options in etcd(?)

Monty Taylor mordred at inaugust.com
Wed Mar 15 03:23:09 UTC 2017

On 03/15/2017 12:05 AM, Joshua Harlow wrote:
> So just fyi, this has been talked about before (but prob in context of
> zookeeper or various other pluggable config backends).
>
> Some links:
>
> - https://review.openstack.org/#/c/243114/
> - https://review.openstack.org/#/c/243182/
> - https://blueprints.launchpad.net/oslo.config/+spec/oslo-config-db
> - https://review.openstack.org/#/c/130047/
>
> I think the general questions that seem to reappear are around the
> following:
>
> * How does reloading work (does it)?
>
> * What's the operational experience (editing a ini file is about the
> lowest bar we can possible get to, for better and/or worse).

As a person who operates many softwares (but who does not necessarily
operate OpenStack specifically) I will say that services that store
their config in a service that do not have an injest/update facility
from file are a GIANT PITA to deal with. Config management is great at
laying down config files. It _can_ put things into services, but that's
almost always more work.

Which is my way of saying - neat, but please please please whoever
writes this make a simple facility that will let someone plop config
into a file on disk and get that noticed and slurped into the config
service. A one-liner command line tool that one runs on the config file
to splat into the config service would be fine.