[openstack-dev] [all][deployment] Deployment Working Group (DWG)

Emilien Macchi emilien at redhat.com
Tue Mar 14 20:31:52 UTC 2017

OpenStack community has been a welcoming place for Deployment tools.
They bring great value to OpenStack because most of them are used to
deploy OpenStack in production, versus a development environment.

Over the last few years, deployment tools project have been trying
to solve similar challenges. Recently we've seen some desire to
collaborate, work on common topics and resolve issues seen by all
these tools.

Some examples of collaboration:

* OpenStack Ansible and Puppet OpenStack have been collaborating on
  Continuous Integration scenarios but also on Nova upgrades orchestration.
* TripleO and Kolla share the same tool for container builds.
* TripleO and Fuel share the same Puppet OpenStack modules.
* OpenStack and Kubernetes are interested in collaborating on configuration
  management.
* Most of tools want to collect OpenStack parameters for configuration
  management in a common fashion.
* [more]

The big tent helped to make these projects part of OpenStack, but no official
group was created to share common problems across tools until now.

During the Atlanta Project Team Gathering in 2017 [1], most of current active
deployment tools project team leaders met in a room and decided to start actual
collaboration on different topics.
This resolution is a first iteration of creating a new working group
for Deployment Tools.

The mission of the Deployment Working Group would be the following::

  To collaborate on best practices for deploying and configuring OpenStack
  in production environments.

Note: in some cases, some challenges will be solved by adopting a technology
or a tool. But sometimes, it won't happen because of the deployment tool
background. This group would have to figure out how we can increase
this adoption and converge to the same technologies eventually.

For now, we'll use the wiki to document how we work together:
https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Deployment

The etherpad presented in [1] might be transformed in a Wiki page if
needed but for now we expect people to update it.

[1] https://etherpad.openstack.org/p/deployment-pike

Let's make OpenStack deployments better and together ;-)
Emilien Macchi