[openstack-dev] [oslo][kolla][openstack-helm][tripleo][all] Storing configuration options in etcd(?)

Emilien Macchi emilien at redhat.com
Tue Mar 14 17:48:20 UTC 2017

On Tue, Mar 14, 2017 at 1:04 PM, Davanum Srinivas <davanum at gmail.com> wrote:
> Team,
>
> So one more thing popped up again on IRC:
> https://etherpad.openstack.org/p/oslo.config_etcd_backend
>
> What do you think? interested in this work?

Wow, it seems like our minds are crossing.
We had this discussion at the PTG and I've seen this topic quite often
mentioned during different sessions.

It's also somehow mentioned here:
https://etherpad.openstack.org/p/deployment-pike
See "Allow services to make use of KV stores instead of just INI files
for config".

What Thomas is doing in the PoC is actually what we thought it could
be the next steps forward configuration management in OpenStack in a
way that could be shared across all tools.
Partially related, Ben Nemec is working on a spec that would extract
all OpenStack parameters and generate YAML files:
https://review.openstack.org/#/c/440835/
And we thought that we could re-use this file to inject the
configuration into etcd.

I see a connection here where :

1. With Ben's work, we would generate a list of parameters available
in OpenStack and expose it to the User Interface of the deployment
tool.
2. The deployment tool would grab inputs from users and write the
values into etcd. The installers would also configure some parameters
that users don't want to provide (with all the logic around).
3. OpenStack services would read the config directly from etcd, thanks
to Thomas's work.

That way, 1. and 3. belong to oslo.config and 2. is done by OpenStack
deployment tools.
Does it make sense?

I see a lot of collaboration and consolidation here, in how we do
configuration management in OpenStack. I hope we can move forward and
find some consensus here; and why not proposing a first architecture
for Pike.

Thanks,

> Thanks,
> Dims
>
> PS: Between this thread and the other one about Tooz/DLM and
> os-lively, we can probably make a good case to add etcd as a base
> always-on service.
>
> --
> Davanum Srinivas :: https://twitter.com/dims

Emilien Macchi