[openstack-dev] [oslo][devstack][all] ZooKeeper vs etcd for Tooz/DLM

Jay Pipes jaypipes at gmail.com
Tue Mar 14 16:35:41 UTC 2017

On 03/14/2017 08:57 AM, Julien Danjou wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 14 2017, Davanum Srinivas wrote:
>
>> Let's do it!! (etcd v2-v3 in tooz)
>
> Hehe. I'll move that higher in my priority list, I swear. But anyone is
> free to beat me to it in the meantime. ;)

A weekend experiment:

https://github.com/jaypipes/os-lively

Not tooz, because I'm not interested in a DLM nor leader election
library (that's what the underlying etcd3 cluster handles for me), only
a fast service liveness/healthcheck system, but it shows usage of etcd3
and Google Protocol Buffers implementing a simple API for liveness
checking and host maintenance reporting.

My plan is to push some proof-of-concept patches that replace Nova's
servicegroup API with os-lively and eliminate Nova's use of an RDBMS for
service liveness checking, which should dramatically reduce the amount
of both DB traffic as well as conductor/MQ service update traffic.

Best,
-jay