[openstack-dev] What do we want to be when we grow up?

Thierry Carrez thierry at openstack.org
Mon Mar 13 15:05:44 UTC 2017

Joshua Harlow wrote:
> [...]
> * Be opinionated; let's actually pick *specific* technologies based on
> well thought out decisions about what we want out of those technologies
> and integrate them deeply (and if we make a bad decision, that's ok, we
> are all grown ups and we'll deal with it). IMHO it hasn't turned out
> well trying to have drivers for everything and everyone so let's umm
> stop doing that.

About "being all grown-ups and dealing with it", the problem is that
it's mostly an externality: the choice is done by developers and the
cost of handling the bad decision is carried by operators. Externalities
make for bad decisions.

I agree that having drivers for everything is nonsense. The model we
have started to promote (around base services) is an expand/contract
model: start by expanding support to a couple viable options, and then
once operators / the market decides on one winner, contract to only
supporting that winner, and start using the specific features of that
technology.

The benefit is that the final choice ends up being made by the
operators. Yes, it means that at the start you will have to do with the
lowest common denominator. But frankly at this stage it would be awesome
to just have the LCD of DLMs, rather than continue disagreeing on
Zookeeper vs. etcd and not even having that lowest common denominator.

> * Leads others; we are one of the older cloud foundations (I think?) so
> we should be leading others such as the CNCF and such, so we must be
> heavily outreaching to these others and helping them learn from our
> mistakes

We can always do more, but this is already happening. I was asked for
and provided early advice to the CNCF while they were setting up their
technical governance structure. Other foundations reached out to us to
discuss and adopt our vulnerability management models. There are a lot
more examples.

> [...]
> * Full control of infrastructure (mostly discard it); I don't think we
> necessarily need to have full control of infrastructure anymore. I'd
> rather target something that builds on the layers of others at this
> point and offers value there.

+1

--
Thierry Carrez (ttx)