[openstack-dev] [nova] [placement] experimenting with extracting placement

Sylvain Bauza sbauza at redhat.com
Mon Mar 13 14:28:57 UTC 2017

Le 13/03/2017 15:17, Jay Pipes a écrit :
> On 03/13/2017 09:16 AM, Sylvain Bauza wrote:
>> Please don't.
>> Having a separate repository would mean that deployers would need to
>> implement a separate package for placement plus discussing about
>> how/when to use it.
>
> Apparently, there already *are* separate packages for
> openstack-nova-api-placement...

Good to know. That said, I'm not sure all deployers are packaging that
separately :-)

FWIW, I'm not against the split, I just think we should first have a
separate and clean client package for placement in a previous cycle.

My thoughts are :
 - in Pike/Queens (TBD), do placementclient optional with fallbacking to
scheduler.report
 - in Queens/R, make placementclient mandatory
 - in R/S, make Placement a separate service.

That way, we could do the necessary quirks in the client in case the
split goes bad.

-Sylvain