[openstack-dev] [acceleration]Atlanta PTG Summary

Zhipeng Huang zhipengh512 at gmail.com
Mon Mar 13 08:06:54 UTC 2017

Hi Team,

Sorry for the long delay after our ptg session. Here are the main takeaways
from the meeting (both f2f and virtual
<https://etherpad.openstack.org/p/cyborg-ptg-pike> ):

*1. Pike Development Goal*

We will shoot for an basic functional Cyborg code base for the Pike release
cycle. We will build the initial modules based upon Roman's proposal
<https://etherpad.openstack.org/p/cyborg-nova-interaction>. These initial
modules are:

*API*: as abstract as possible, and not necessary for multi-tenancy usage
in Pike.
*DB*: Maintain Cyborg specific device information (for example metadata
extracted during the discovery phase)
*Drivers*: support out-of-tree vendor solution in the long run, and try to
come up with a generic driver (maybe based upon virtio interfaces) for Pike
to get basic functionalities.
*Agent*: the "compute" part of Cyborg thats directly talks to the
accelerators/dedicated devices.

We have designated the prime sponsors for these modules and look
forward to *the
initial BPs at the next team meeting (which will be Mar 15th, Wed this
week)*

*2. Sandboxing proposals*

Per agreed in previous meetings as well as ptg, we will setup a sandbox
folder for the design proposals (we've covered one from Mellanox and one
from Huawei)

*3. Specific use case targeting*

The task illustrated in section 1 is for building the common code
structure, however we still need further work on specific use cases.
Although not fully discussed during ptg meeting, Harm's proposal
<https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B_Dc7PdTARsxc2cwTlJnelctWHM> will
continue to be discussed as the main input for FPGA use case, whereas the
requirements <https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/ScientificWGGPUs> coming out
of Scientific WG would be the main one for GPU.

We are looking at to provide basic solutions for these two use cases in
Pike.

*Reminder: our bi-weekly meeting resumes on Wed this week :)*

--
Zhipeng (Howard) Huang

Standard Engineer
IT Standard & Patent/IT Prooduct Line
Huawei Technologies Co,. Ltd
Email: huangzhipeng at huawei.com
Office: Huawei Industrial Base, Longgang, Shenzhen

(Previous)
Research Assistant
Mobile Ad-Hoc Network Lab, Calit2
University of California, Irvine
Email: zhipengh at uci.edu
Office: Calit2 Building Room 2402

OpenStack, OPNFV, OpenDaylight, OpenCompute Aficionado