[openstack-dev] [tc][appcat] The future of the App Catalog

Zane Bitter zbitter at redhat.com
Sat Mar 11 00:24:51 UTC 2017

On 10/03/17 17:43, Clint Byrum wrote:
> Excerpts from Fox, Kevin M's message of 2017-03-10 20:47:55 +0000:
>> Just because the market hasn't immediately shifted from IaaS to containers doesn't mean it won't happen eventually, and that google's wrong in their push for containers over IaaS. It took a long time (still ongoing) to move from physical machines to vm's. The same parallel will happen with containers I believe. We're at least a few years out from it becoming more common place. That doesn't mean folks can assume it will always be the way it is, and the "market has spoken". "The only constants are death and taxes." :)
>>
>> Your right in the assertion k8s needs a place to run, but that doesn't necessarily mean OpenStack, unless we help integrate it and make it a great place to run it.
>>
>> I'm glad the IaaS stuff in OpenStack suits your needs. Thats great. It hasn't served a great number of users needs though, and has been at least misleading folks into believing it will for a number of years. If we want it to just be an IaaS, lets free up those users to move on elsewhere.
>>
>> Does OpenStack intend just to be an IaaS in a few years or something else?

I'm not a fan of describing the more limited use case as "just IaaS".
It's all infrastructure; the question for me is whom it's providing a
service to: the application running on that infrastructure, or only the
(human) operator of that application?

> Why should it strive to be anything except an excellent building block
> for other technologies?

Wrong question IMO. The right question is, what would make it an
excellent building block?

We need to set the bar higher than "same as bare metal ('apps will work
just like any other places') but you also get to manage an OpenStack
deployment too".

See my reply to Monty for details on some ways that OpenStack isn't as
excellent a building block as it ought to be.

By happy coincidence, the same features that would make OpenStack a
better building block for "other technologies" are in many cases also
what would make it a better place to run other applications of the type
that Kevin's users want to write. Since the "other technologies" are
themselves applications from OpenStack's perspective.

cheers,
Zane.