[openstack-dev] [tc][appcat] The future of the App Catalog

Zane Bitter zbitter at redhat.com
Fri Mar 10 20:21:02 UTC 2017

On 10/03/17 11:59, Clint Byrum wrote:
  What a community like ours is good at doing is gathering all the
> exciting industry leading bleeding edge chaos into a boring commodity
> platform. What Zane is saying (and I agree with) is let's make sure we see
> the whole cloud forest and not just focus on the VM trees in front of us.
>
> I'm curious what you (Josh) or Zane would change too.

Here's something simple that I've been pushing for 2 years and we still
haven't done yet:

http://www.zerobanana.com/archive/2015/04/24#a-vision-for-openstack

There's plenty more to say, but perhaps this is not the place. If Josh
starts a new thread I'll be happy to contribute.

> Containers/apps/kubes/etc. have to run on computers with storage and
> networks. OpenStack provides a pretty rich set of features for giving
> users computers with storage on networks, and operators a way to manage
> those. So I fail to see how that is svn to "cloud native"'s git. It
> seems more foundational and complimentary.

I should have clarified the svn remark. It was a discussion about
marketing, not technology.

svn is solid, stable, ubiquitous in a certain class of old-school
Enterprise shops, and completely irrelevant to the future of software
development. That's the future we're in danger of sleepwalking into.

cheers,
Zane.