[openstack-dev] [i18n] [nova] understanding log domain change - https://review.openstack.org/#/c/439500

Doug Hellmann doug at doughellmann.com
Fri Mar 10 14:28:52 UTC 2017

Excerpts from Ian Y. Choi's message of 2017-03-10 01:22:40 +0900:
> Doug Hellmann wrote on 3/9/2017 9:24 PM:
> > Excerpts from Sean McGinnis's message of 2017-03-07 07:17:09 -0600:

> >> So... just looking for a definitive statement on this since there has
> >> been some back and forth discussion.
> >>
> >> Is it correct to say - all projects may (should?) now remove all bits in
> >> place for using and enforcing the _Lx() translation markers. Only _()
> >> should be used for user visible error messages.
> >>
> >> Sean (smcginnis)
> >>
> > The situation is still not quite clear to me, and it would be
> > unfortunate to undo too much of the translation support work because
> > it will be hard to redo it.
> >
> > Is there documentation somewhere describing what the i18n team has
> > committed to trying to translate?
>
> I18n team describes translation plan and priority in Zanata -
> translation platform
>   : https://translate.openstack.org/ .
>
> >   I think I heard that there was a
> > shift in emphasis to "user interfaces", but I'm not sure if that
> > includes error messages in services. Should we remove all use of
> > oslo.i18n from services? Or only when dealing with logs?
>
> When I18n team decided to removal of log translations in Barcelona last
> October, there had been no
> discussion on the removal of oslo.i18n translation support for log messages.
> (I have kept track of what I18n team discussed during Barcelona I18n
> meetup on Etherpad - [1])
>
> Now I think that the final decision of oslo.i18n log translation support
> needs more involvement
> with translators considering oslo.i18n translation support, and also
> more people on community wide including
> project working groups, user committee, and operators as Matt suggested.
>
> If translating log messages is meaningful to some community members and
> some translators show interests
> on translating log messages, then I18n team can revert the policy with
> rolling back of translations.
> Translated strings are still alive in not only previous stable branches,
> but also in translation memory in Zanata - translation platform.
>
> I would like to find some ways to discuss this topic with more community
> wide.

I would suggest that we discuss this at the Forum in Boston, but I think
we need to gather some input before then because if there is a consensus
that log translations are not useful we can allow the code cleanup to
occur and not take up face-to-face time.

Doug