[openstack-dev] [all] Small steps for Go

Clint Byrum clint at fewbar.com
Thu Mar 9 19:33:42 UTC 2017

Excerpts from Michał Jastrzębski's message of 2017-03-09 11:23:17 -0800:
> Clint, I think it's good to find initial idea to work towards to
> create stuff like infrastructure (testing and such) around golang,
> code guidance, standards and so on. It takes first project to create
> all that stuff and it's good if it's bigger community effort. Next
> projects could just follow these standards really.

I'm not sure I follow. There's already demand for golang infrastructure in
Designate and Swift, so I don't see why we wouldn't make sure our
infrastructure supports those.

> As for Kolla using golang - Kolla uses ansible and k8s today;) Or
> rather Kolla-ansible and Kolla-k8s uses Kolla. If you want to make
> Kolla-golang, you can...it just doesn't make any sense really (imho);)

The etherpad made a veiled reference to Kolla wanting to do something in
Go. I was just making the point that I think deployment projects are
already other-language-based and so don't follow the same set of
constraints as the OpenStack project itself.