[openstack-dev] [all] Some information about the Forum at the Summit in Boston

Dmitry Tantsur dtantsur at redhat.com
Thu Mar 9 18:35:15 UTC 2017

On 03/09/2017 07:19 PM, Jay Pipes wrote:
> On 03/09/2017 01:06 PM, Dmitry Tantsur wrote:
>> On 03/09/2017 06:57 PM, Clint Byrum wrote:
>>> Excerpts from Ben Swartzlander's message of 2017-03-09 11:23:31 -0500:
>> <snip>
>>>
>>> Combine that with the lower cost and subsidized travel support program
>>> for the PTG, and you should end up with a more complete gathering of
>>> developers at PTG, and a better interface with users and operators. That
>>> is the theory, and I think it's worth trying to fit one's approach into
>>> that, rather than try to keep doing things the old way and expecting
>>> this new system to work.
>>
>> Small correction: it does not seem that the PTG was cheaper for people
>> attending it.
>
> It was substantially cheaper for many folks, actually. The venue chosen and the
> city chosen is significantly cheaper than Boston.

I cannot say anything about Boston (I don't plan on going), and I'm definitely
not saying for everyone, but here are my (rough) numbers from previous summits.

Tokyo
   flight $1000
   hotel $950

Austin
   flight $1100
   hotel $1100

Barcelona
   flight $200
   hotel $900

Atlanta PTG
   flight $1050
   hotel (recommended) $1100
   ticket $100

Overall, Atlanta would be the most expensive for me, if I used the recommended
hotel. Even more expensive than Tokyo.

> Hotel rooms in Boston are *minimum* $350 per night compared with $180 per night
> in Atlanta's Sheraton.

Small correction: *real* price of Sheraton was $220. You're referring to the
"marketing" price, which does not include a lot of what you have to pay. Dunno
if it's the same for Boston.