[openstack-dev] [all] Some information about the Forum at the Summit in Boston

Duncan Thomas duncan.thomas at gmail.com
Thu Mar 9 18:34:38 UTC 2017

On 9 Mar 2017 18:22, "Jay Pipes" <jaypipes at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 03/09/2017 01:06 PM, Dmitry Tantsur wrote:
>>
>> On 03/09/2017 06:57 PM, Clint Byrum wrote:
>>>
>>> Excerpts from Ben Swartzlander's message of 2017-03-09 11:23:31 -0500:
>>
>> <snip>
>>>

>>> Combine that with the lower cost and subsidized travel support program
>>> for the PTG, and you should end up with a more complete gathering of
>>> developers at PTG, and a better interface with users and operators. That
>>> is the theory, and I think it's worth trying to fit one's approach into
>>> that, rather than try to keep doing things the old way and expecting
>>> this new system to work.
>>

>> Small correction: it does not seem that the PTG was cheaper for people
>> attending it.
>

> It was substantially cheaper for many folks, actually. The venue chosen
and the city chosen is significantly cheaper than Boston.

> Hotel rooms in Boston are *minimum* $350 per night compared with $180 per
night in Atlanta's Sheraton.

> Those of us in certain companies were allowed to use Airbnb which cut the
lodging costs down even further (around $80 per night per person compared
with $150 average Airbnb prices per person in Boston).

> Add to that the lack of expensive vendor parties and nighttime events
(*somebody* ends up having to pay for those things, after all) and the
costs for attending (and putting on the PTG) were indeed cheaper in my
experience.

Compared to the summit it as cheaper, but compared to the midcycles cinder
used to have it was definitely more expensive