[openstack-dev] [all][api] POST /api-wg/news

Ed Leafe ed at leafe.com
Thu Mar 9 17:52:45 UTC 2017

Greetings OpenStack community,

Today's meeting started on a heavyhearted note, as we hoisted our virtual beers and gave a toast to Everett Toews, who recently had to step down from his API-WG duties due to a job re-assignment. For those who don't know, Everett and I started the API-WG a few years ago, but it was Everett who was the main driving force behind getting it to where it is today. His influence, energy, and personality will be missed.

We then moved on to discuss the revised API stability guidelines document [4] which is getting close to being ready, thanks to some excellent input we received at the recent PTG. A few more people have expressed that they have comments, so we'd like to get as much input from as broad an audience. If you have something to add, do it soon!

We then brainstormed ideas for how to increase participation in the group. Everett's recent departure brings the number of cores down to 3, and who knows what the future holds for us as the OpenStack job market winds keep changing direction. One issue that we noted is that most of the work that we set out to do when we formed has been largely completed, so there isn't much excitement out there for finishing the rest. We agreed to discuss this with the TC to let them know the situation, and to see if they had any ideas for future direction.

And as that topic wound down, we got to know knikolla (Kristi Nikolla), who is new to the group, but is interested in contributing because of his work on openstack/mixmatch [5], which aims to allow different OpenStack deployments to communicate with each other. As you can imagine, API inconsistencies make that an even harder task! So we look forward to further discussions with knikolla in the future.

# Newly Published Guidelines

Nothing new this week.

# API Guidelines Proposed for Freeze

Guidelines that are ready for wider review by the whole community. Nothing at the moment, but feel free to get in early on the reviews below.

# Guidelines Currently Under Review [3]

* Define pagination guidelines
  https://review.openstack.org/#/c/390973/

* Add API capabilities discovery guideline
  https://review.openstack.org/#/c/386555/

* Refactor and re-validate api change guidelines
  https://review.openstack.org/#/c/421846/

# Highlighting your API impacting issues

If you seek further review and insight from the API WG, please address your concerns in an email to the OpenStack developer mailing list[1] with the tag "[api]" in the subject. In your email, you should include any relevant reviews, links, and comments to help guide the discussion of the specific challenge you are facing.

To learn more about the API WG mission and the work we do, see OpenStack API Working Group [2].

Thanks for reading and see you next week!