[openstack-dev] [tc][appcat][murano][app-catalog] The future of the App Catalog

Thierry Carrez thierry at openstack.org
Thu Mar 9 12:08:28 UTC 2017

Christopher Aedo wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 6, 2017 at 3:26 AM, Thierry Carrez <thierry at openstack.org> wrote:
>> [...]
>> In parallel, Docker developed a pretty successful containerized
>> application marketplace (the Docker Hub), with hundreds of thousands of
>> regularly-updated apps. Keeping the App Catalog around (including its
>> thinly-wrapped Docker container Murano packages) make us look like we
>> are unsuccessfully trying to compete with that ecosystem, while
>> OpenStack is in fact completely complementary.
>
> Without something like Murano "thinly wrapping" docker apps, how would
> you propose current users of OpenStack clouds deploy docker apps?  Or
> any other app for that matter?  It seems a little unfair to talk about
> murano apps this way when no reasonable alternative exists for easily
> deploying docker apps.  When I look back at the recent history of how
> we've handled containers (nova-docker, magnum, kubernetes, etc) it
> does not seem like we're making it easy for the folks who want to
> deploy a container on their cloud...

I'd say there are two approaches: you can use the container-native
approach ("docker run" after provisioning some container-enabled host
using Nova or K8s cluster using Magnum), or you can use the
OpenStack-native approach (zun create nginx) and have it
auto-provisioned for you. Those projects have a narrower scope, and
fully co-opt the container ecosystem without making us appear as trying
to build our own competitive application packaging/delivery/marketplace
mechanism.

I just think that adding the Murano abstraction in the middle of it and
using an AppCatalog-provided Murano-powered generic Docker container
wrapper is introducing unnecessary options and complexity -- options
that are strategically hurting us when we talk to those adjacent
communities...

--
Thierry Carrez (ttx)