[openstack-dev] [cinder][glance][horizon][keystone][nova][qa][swift] Feedback needed: Removal of legacy per-project vanity domain redirects

Brian Rosmaita rosmaita.fossdev at gmail.com
Wed Mar 8 16:23:50 UTC 2017

On 3/8/17 10:12 AM, Monty Taylor wrote:
> Hey all,
>
> We have a set of old vanity redirect URLs from back when we made a URL
> for each project:
>
> cinder.openstack.org
> glance.openstack.org
> horizon.openstack.org
> keystone.openstack.org
> nova.openstack.org
> qa.openstack.org
> swift.openstack.org
>
> They are being served from an old server we'd like to retire. Obviously,
> moving a set of http redirects is trivial, but these domains have been
> deprecated for about 4 now, so we figured we'd clean house if we can.
>
> We know that the swift team has previously expressed that there are
> links out in the wild pointing to swift.o.o/content that still work and
> that they don't want to break anyone, which is fine. (although if the
> swift team has changed their minds, that's also welcome)
>
> for the rest of you, can we kill these rather than transfer them?

My concern is that glance.openstack.org is easy to remember and type, so
I imagine there are links out there that we have no control over using
that URL.  So what are the consequences of it 404'ing or "site cannot be
reached" in a browser?

glance.o.o currently redirects to docs.o.o/developer/glance

If glance.o.o failed for me, I'd next try openstack.org (or
www.openstack.org).  Those would give me a page with a top bar of links,
one of which is DOCS.  If I took that link, I'd get the docs home page.

There's a search bar there; typing in 'glance' gets me
docs.o.o/developer/glance as the first hit.

If instead I scroll past the search bar, I have to scroll down to
"Project-Specific Guides" and follow "Services & Libraries" ->
"Openstack Services" -> "image service (glance) -> docs.o.o/developer/glance

Which sounds kind of bad ... until I type "glance docs" into google.
Right now the first hit is docs.o.o/developer/glance.  And all the kids
these days use the google.  So by trying to be clever and hack the URL,
I could get lost, but if I just google 'glance docs', I find what I'm
looking for right away.

So I'm willing to go with the majority on this, with the caveat that if
one or two teams keep the redirect, it's going to be confusing to end
users if the redirect doesn't work for other projects.

cheers,
brian