[openstack-dev] [ironic] OpenStack client default ironic API version

Loo, Ruby ruby.loo at intel.com
Tue Mar 7 15:59:38 UTC 2017

On 2017-03-06, 3:46 PM, "Mario Villaplana" <mario.villaplana at gmail.com> wrote:

    Hi ironic,

    At the PTG, an issue regarding the default version of the ironic API
    used in our python-openstackclient plugin was discussed. [0] In short,
    the issue is that we default to a very old API version when the user
    doesn't otherwise specify it. This limits discoverability of new
    features and makes the client more difficult to use for deployments
    running the latest version of the code.

    We came to the following consensus:

    1. For a deprecation period, we should log a warning whenever the user
    doesn't specify an API version, informing them of this change.

    2. After the deprecation period:

    a) OSC baremetal plugin will default to the latest available version

I think OSC and ironic CLI have the same behaviour -- are we only interested in OSC or are we interested in both, except that we also want to at some point soon perhaps, deprecate ironic CLI?

Also, by 'latest available version', the OSC plugin knows (or thinks it knows) what the latest version is [1]. Will you be using that, or 'latest'?

    b) Specifying just macroversion will default to latest microversion
    within that macroversion (example: --os-baremetal-api-version=1 would
    default to 1.31 if 1.31 is the last microversion with 1 macroversion,
    even if we have API 2.2 supported)

    I have a patch up for review with the deprecation warning:
    https://review.openstack.org/442153

Do you have an RFE? I'd like a spec for this too please.

    Please comment on that patch with any concerns.

    We also still have yet to decide what a suitable deprecation period is
    for this change, as far as I'm aware. Please respond to this email
    with any suggestions on the deprecation period.

    Thanks,
    Mario

    [0] https://etherpad.openstack.org/p/ironic-pike-ptg-operations L30

Thank YOU!