[openstack-dev] [Manila] PTG summary

Chris Dent cdent+os at anticdent.org
Mon Mar 6 18:59:55 UTC 2017

On Fri, 3 Mar 2017, Ben Swartzlander wrote:

> Experimental Features
> ---------------------
> This was a highly contentious issue with strong opinions on both sides. There
> remain good arguments for and against the continued use of "experimental"
> features. It's likely that we will evolve the exact mechanism for
> experimental APIs in the future because the existing mechanism has serious
> flaws. For feature development in general though there is not much support
> for feature branches or other styles of iterating on large features. We
> agreed to follow up on this topic in the weekly meeting to decide how to
> handle future experimental features.

As you may be aware there's some discussion of potential ideas on
how to do experimental features without breaking API compatibility
and stability in the review for the updated stability guidelines:

     https://review.openstack.org/421846

The gist is: do it on a different endpoint in the service catalog
while experimental and then migrate it or kill it as needed. That's
just an idea. If you have others would be great to hear them.

--
Chris Dent                 ¯\_(ツ)_/¯           https://anticdent.org/