[openstack-dev] [i18n] [nova] understanding log domain change - https://review.openstack.org/#/c/439500

Sean Dague sean at dague.net
Mon Mar 6 17:23:58 UTC 2017

On 03/06/2017 12:16 PM, Ihar Hrachyshka wrote:
> I have a question: why can't operators just switch to en_US to execute services?
>
> Another question: what makes log messages so much different from API
> find a reason for a request failure if the error message is in
> English? Should we then just stop translating any messages and say
> English is the only OpenStack language we recommend?
>
> I try to see what makes logs so much different from API error
> messages, and why operators cannot pick the right language based on
> their priorities.

I think what I have gathered from the conversation here, and some on IRC
is that the i18n team did some reflection in Barcelona, and found that
the value of providing these translations for log messages was low
enough that they stopped wanting to commit to them.

They removed all that from their system, and pushed deletes to projects
(here is the Nova one I merged - https://review.openstack.org/#/c/439925/).

Without upstream support of these catalogs (and content in the .po
files), there is no reason for projects to have all this plumbing.

It causes quite a bit of confusion to new folks, and trips up lots of
people making changes when they forget about it (and hacking fails them).

	-Sean

--
Sean Dague
http://dague.net