[openstack-dev] [i18n] [nova] understanding log domain change - https://review.openstack.org/#/c/439500

Doug Hellmann doug at doughellmann.com
Mon Mar 6 15:53:08 UTC 2017

Excerpts from Sean Dague's message of 2017-03-06 09:06:18 -0500:
> On 03/06/2017 08:43 AM, Andreas Jaeger wrote:
> > On 2017-03-06 14:03, Sean Dague  wrote:
> >> I'm trying to understand the implications of
> >> https://review.openstack.org/#/c/439500. And the comment in the linked
> >> email:
> >>
> >> ">> Yes, we decided some time ago to not translate the log files anymore and
> >>
> >> Does that mean that all the _LE, _LI, _LW stuff in projects should be
> >> fully removed? Nova currently enforces those things are there -
> >> https://github.com/openstack/nova/blob/e88dd0034b1b135d680dae3494597e295add9cfe/nova/hacking/checks.py#L314-L333
> >> and want to make sure our tools aren't making us do work that the i18n
> >> team is ignoring and throwing away.
> >
> > Sean, this was removed as followup to:
> >
> > http://lists.openstack.org/pipermail/openstack-i18n/2016-November/002574.html
> >
> > Let me copy Ian as i18n PTL,
> >
> > Andreas
>
> That all seems reasonable, and I'm happy to follow the i18n team's lead
> here. It is however a significant reversal of policy, and there is
> substantial code infrastructure in projects (like Nova) to support the
> old policy.
>
> So if this is new policy, a much wider dissemination of it would be
> welcomed, as it means we can purge this infrastructure from projects
> like Nova.
>
>     -Sean

Yes, we went to a great deal of trouble to enable log translations,
so I'm surprised to see it being dropped to quickly.  I don't
necessarily disagree with the decision, because I know translator
time is limited. But it would be nice to have the discussion here,
instead of on a list most of the community isn't subscribed to, so
everyone involved can understand the reason for the change and so
the folks who asked for it originally can be included in the
conversation. As Sean points out, the policy change has a lot of
other implications about how logging is handled throughout the
applications.

Doug