[openstack-dev] [nova] notification update week 9

Balazs Gibizer balazs.gibizer at ericsson.com
Mon Mar 6 10:28:38 UTC 2017

As we agreed on the PTG I will send out short status update /
focus-setting mail about notifications work items to the ML weekly.

There are couple of important outstanding bugs:

[High] https://bugs.launchpad.net/nova/+bug/1665263 The legacy
instance.delete notification is missing for unscheduled instance. This
is a regression introduced when the instance creation was moved to the
conductor. Patch has couple of +1s but needs core attention

[Medium] https://bugs.launchpad.net/nova/+bug/1657428 The instance
notifications are sent with inconsistent timestamp format. Fix is ready
for the cores to review https://review.openstack.org/#/c/421981

[Medium] https://bugs.launchpad.net/nova/+bug/1653221 Lazy loaded and
uninitialized object fields are missing from the notification payloads.
The patch needs review from the subteam

Versioned notification transformation
Plenty of transformation patches has been rebased to Pike and reviewed
by the subteam. These are easy to review patches so  let's focus on
merging the below short list this week:
* https://review.openstack.org/#/c/384922 Transform instance.rebuild
* https://review.openstack.org/#/c/396621 Transform
instance.rebuild.error notification
* https://review.openstack.org/#/c/382959 Transform instance.reboot

There are a long list of patches that needs to be respin to target the
new Pike blueprint versioned-notification-transformation-pike

Searchlight integration
Listing instances
Matt proposed a patch to list instances using searchlight
https://review.openstack.org/#/c/441692/ . Separate ML thread has bee
started to sort out the open issues:

bp additional-notification-fields-for-searchlight
4 patch from blueprint additional-notification-fields-for-searchlight
has been reviewed by the subteam and waiting for core review

The blueprint needs discussion about how to model BlockDeviceMapping in
the instance notifications.

Other items
Short circuit notification payload generation
Code review is ongoing to short circuit notification payload generation
if the notifications are not configured to be emitted to avoid
unnecessary load (e.g. db load). There is a generic patch on
oslo_messaging that needs some iteration
https://review.openstack.org/#/c/441221 and then the nova patch can be
adapted to the new oslo feature https://review.openstack.org/#/c/428260/

bp json-schema-for-versioned-notifications
The implementation progressed in Ocata but the bp hasn't been
reproposed to Pike yet as we need somebody to pick up the
implementation work for Pike.

The notification subteam holds it's weekly meeting on Tuesday 17:00 UTC
on openstack-meeting-4 so the next meeting will be held on 7th of March