[openstack-dev] Saga of servicec discovery (is it needed?)

Julien Danjou julien at danjou.info
Thu Mar 2 22:20:18 UTC 2017

On Thu, Mar 02 2017, Joshua Harlow wrote:

> So before I start to go much farther on this (and start to dive into what
> people are doing and why the various implementations exist and proposing a
> cross-project solution, tooz, or etcd, or zookeeper or other...) I wanted to
> get general feedback (especially from the projects that have these kinds of
> implementations) if this is a worthwhile path to even try to go down.

IIUC we use such a mechanism in a few Telemetry projects to share
information between agents.

For example, Gnocchi metricd workers talk together and provide each
others their numbers of CPU so they can distribute fairly the number of
jobs they should take care for. They use that same mechanism to know
if/how every agent is alive.

We've been using that technology for 3 years now, and we named it
"tooz". You may have heard of it. ;-)

Cheers,
--
Julien Danjou