[openstack-dev] [OpenStack-docs] [docs][release][ptl] Adding docs to the release schedule

Alexandra Settle a.settle at outlook.com
Thu Mar 2 16:58:19 UTC 2017

On 3/2/17, 4:42 PM, "Doug Hellmann" <doug at doughellmann.com> wrote:

    Excerpts from Alexandra Settle's message of 2017-03-02 16:25:46 +0000:

    > On 3/2/17, 4:08 PM, "Doug Hellmann" <doug at doughellmann.com> wrote:
    >
    >     Excerpts from Alexandra Settle's message of 2017-03-02 14:29:07 +0000:
    >     >
    >     >
    >     > From: Anne Gentle <annegentle at justwriteclick.com>
    >     > Date: Thursday, March 2, 2017 at 2:16 PM
    >     > To: Alexandra Settle <a.settle at outlook.com>
    >     > Subject: Re: [OpenStack-docs] [docs][release][ptl] Adding docs to the release schedule
    >     >
    >     >
    >     >
    >     > On Wed, Mar 1, 2017 at 11:52 AM, Alexandra Settle <a.settle at outlook.com<mailto:a.settle at outlook.com>> wrote:
    >     > Hi everyone,
    >     >
    >     > I would like to propose that we introduce a “Review documentation” period on the release schedule.
    >     >
    >     > We would formulate it as a deadline, so that it fits in the schedule and making it coincide with the RC1 deadline.
    >     >
    >     > For projects that are not following the milestones, we would translate this new inclusion literally, so if you would like your project to be documented at docs.o.o, then doc must be introduced and reviewed one month before the branch is cut.
    >     >
    >     > I like this idea, and it can align certain docs with string freeze logically.
    >     >
    >     > I think the docs that are governed with this set of rules should be scoped only to those that are synched with a release, namely the Configuration Reference, Networking Guide, and Install Guides. [1]
    >     >
    >     > For reference, those are the guides that would best align with "common cycle with development milestones." [2]
    >     >
    >     > Scope this proposal to the released guides, clarify which repo those will be in, who can review and merge, and precisely when the cutoff is, and you're onto something here. Plus, I can hear the translation teams cheering. :)
    >     >
    >     >
    >     > I completely agree with everything here :) my only question is, what do you mean by “clarify which repo those will be in”? I had no intention of moving documentation with this suggestion Install guides either in openstack-manuals or their own $project repos :)
    >     >
    >     > Next question – since there doesn’t appear to be a huge ‘no don’t do the thing’ coming from the dev list at this point, how and where do we include this new release information? Here? https://docs.openstack.org/project-team-guide/release-management.html#release-1
    >     >
    >     > Anne
    >     >
    >     >
> [...]

    Yes, that's right. Maybe you and I can work on the first draft in
    an etherpad, and then you can submit the patch? I set this one up based
    on the tag-template.txt file in the governance repository:

    https://etherpad.openstack.org/p/doc-managed-tag

    Doug

Perfect! I’ll get on this and involve the doc community to ensure we’re getting everything down :)

Appreciate your support and assistance, Doug!