[openstack-dev] [Ironic] One-time boot on OneView Drivers

fellypefca at lsd.ufcg.edu.br fellypefca at lsd.ufcg.edu.br
Thu Mar 2 15:10:09 UTC 2017

Hi Ironicers.

Recently we have added one-time boot feature to OneView drivers. However, now for be able to activate the onetime-boot feature , that make oneview driver's to save some time during the deployment , we need to find a common place to turn the onetime-boot On and not-persistent.

The PXEBoot interface uses the method try_set_boot_device [1] from deploy_utils without using the parameter "persistent" [2][3] , the try_set_boot_device has that parameter set as True by default.
The problem is, the method node_set_boot_device [4] in the Conductor has persistent set as False by default.

We use PXEBoot as our boot option, we have implemented the on e time - boot option to allow us to skip Server Profile applications when PXE is needed [5] . However, PXEBoot uses try_set_boot_device that has persistent True as default, so onetime - boot is always disabled to PXE boot_device in PXEBoot.
Since we use PXEBoot, we rely in how it changes the boot_device to PXE.

We have proposed a change [6] as a initial solution to be evolved.

What would you suggest?

Thank you.

[1] https://github.com/openstack/ironic/blob/0cacd14c6e574a6acb7c6716b09b0779a35e71c9/ironic/drivers/modules/deploy_utils.py#L672
[2] https://github.com/openstack/ironic/blob/0cacd14c6e574a6acb7c6716b09b0779a35e71c9/ironic/drivers/modules/pxe.py#L424