[openstack-dev] [all][swg] per-project "Business only" moderated mailing lists

Ian Cordasco sigmavirus24 at gmail.com
Thu Mar 2 14:42:46 UTC 2017

-----Original Message-----
From: Chris Dent <cdent+os at anticdent.org>
Reply: OpenStack Development Mailing List (not for usage questions)
<openstack-dev at lists.openstack.org>
Date: March 2, 2017 at 06:50:11
<openstack-dev at lists.openstack.org>
Subject:  Re: [openstack-dev] [all][swg] per-project "Business only"
moderated mailing lists

> On Mon, 27 Feb 2017, Clint Byrum wrote:
>
> > So, I'll ask more generally: do you believe that the single openstack-dev
> > mailing list is working fine and we should change nothing? If not, what
> > problems has it created for you?
>
> No, it is not working fine, but that may be normal and the best we
> can do.

Specifically, it seems to be *broken* for our Release Team that needs
to communicate in an efficient way with PTLs and Release CPLs.

I understand the purpose of these business-only lists would also allow
for mascots to be sent to that, but I liked the ability to participate
in the discussions of other mascots. Granted, I didn't do it, but I
was also happy to read their conversations.

I don't think there's enough "noise" traffic to justify individual
lists. Would it perhaps be better to have a mailing list that the
release team can use to reach PTLs and Release CPLs with
notifications? Would that satisfy it? At that point, it would be up to
each PTL to subscribe, etc., but it also prevents the Release team
from having to generate N emails where N is the number of
"business-only" lists.

--
Ian Cordasco