[openstack-dev] [OpenStack-docs] [docs][release][ptl] Adding docs to the release schedule

Anne Gentle annegentle at justwriteclick.com
Thu Mar 2 14:16:51 UTC 2017

On Wed, Mar 1, 2017 at 11:52 AM, Alexandra Settle <a.settle at outlook.com>
wrote:

> Hi everyone,
>

> I would like to propose that we introduce a “Review documentation” period
> on the release schedule.
>

> We would formulate it as a deadline, so that it fits in the schedule and
> making it coincide with the RC1 deadline.
>

> For projects that are not following the milestones, we would translate
> this new inclusion literally, so if you would like your project to be
> documented at docs.o.o, then doc must be introduced and reviewed one month
> before the branch is cut.

I like this idea, and it can align certain docs with string freeze
logically.

I think the docs that are governed with this set of rules should be scoped
only to those that are synched with a release, namely the Configuration
Reference, Networking Guide, and Install Guides. [1]

For reference, those are the guides that would best align with "common
cycle with development milestones." [2]

Scope this proposal to the released guides, clarify which repo those will
be in, who can review and merge, and precisely when the cutoff is, and
you're onto something here. Plus, I can hear the translation teams
cheering. :)

Anne

1.
https://docs.openstack.org/contributor-guide/blueprints-and-specs.html#release-specific-documentation

2.
https://docs.openstack.org/project-team-guide/release-management.html#common-cycle-with-development-milestones

> In the last week since we released Ocata, it has become increasingly
> apparent that the documentation was not updated from the development side.
> We were not aware of a lot of new enhancements, features, or major bug
> fixes for certain projects. This means we have released with
> incorrect/out-of-date documentation. This is not only an unfortunately bad
> reflection on our team, but on the project teams themselves.
>

> The new inclusion to the schedule may seem unnecessary, but a lot of
> people rely on this and the PTL drives milestones from this schedule.
>

> From our side, I endeavor to ensure our release managers are working
> harder to ping and remind doc liaisons and PTLs to ensure the documentation
> is appropriately updated and working to ensure this does not happen in the
> future.
>

> Thanks,
>

> Alex

Read my blog: justwrite.click <https://justwriteclick.com>
Subscribe to Docs|Code: docslikecode.com