[openstack-dev] [ironic] state of the stable/mitaka branches

Dmitry Tantsur dtantsur at redhat.com
Thu Mar 2 10:31:54 UTC 2017

On 03/01/2017 08:15 PM, Pavlo Shchelokovskyy wrote:
> Greetings ironicers,
>
> I'd like to discuss the state of the gates in ironic and other related projects
> for stable/mitaka branch.

Hi!

Thanks for raising this. I need to apologize, I haven't been doing great job as
a stable liaison recently. I'll try to fix stuff in the coming days.

> Today while making some test patches to old branches I discovered the following
> problems:
>
> python-ironicclient/stable/mitaka
> All unit-test-like jobs are broken due to not handling upper constraints.
> Because of it a newer than actually supported python-openstackclient is
> installed, which already lacks some modules python-ironicclient tries to import
> (these were moved to osc-lib).
> I've proposed a patch that copies current way of dealing with upper constraints
> in tox envs [0], gates are passing.

Thanks, I've just approved this patch.

> ironic/stable/mitaka
> While not actually being gated on, using virtualbmc+ipmitool drivers is broken.

This was not a supported combination back then, so I'm not sure it's good time
to start right now.

> The reason is again related to upper constraints as what happens is old enough
> version of pyghmi (from mitaka upper constraints) is installed with most recent
> virtualbmc (not in upper constraints), and those versions are incompatible.
> This highlights a question whether we should propose virtualbmc to upper
> constraints too to avoid such problems in the future.
> Meanwhile a quick fix would be to hard-code the supported virtualbmc version in
> the ironic's devstack plugin for mitaka release.
> Although not strictly supported for Mitaka release, I'd like that functionality
> to be working on stable/mitaka gates to test for upcoming removal of *_ssh drivers.

There were important changes of pyghmi that made virtualbmc possible at all. I
don't think any versions can work with old pyghmi.

I'm not sure why removing of *_ssh drivers from master should necessary break
stable/mitaka, where these drivers are present. Could you elaborate?

> I did not test other projects yet.
>
> With all the above, the question is should we really fix the gates for the
> mitaka branch now? According to OpenStack release page [1] the Mitaka release
> will reach end-of-life on April 10, 2017.

I'd prefer we fix them, I'll look into the problems raised in this thread.