[openstack-dev] [QA][blazar][ceilometer][congress][intel-nfv-ci-tests][ironic][manila][networking-bgpvpn][networking-fortinet][networking-sfc][neutron][neutron-fwaas][neutron-lbaas][nova-lxd][octavia][sahara][tap-as-a-service][horizon][vmware-nsx][watcher][all] Refactor of Tempest scenario base classes

Pavlo Shchelokovskyy pshchelokovskyy at mirantis.com
Thu Mar 2 09:18:25 UTC 2017

Hi Andrea,

I am not sure why the new tempest.scenario.manager has to be developed that
way. May I humbly suggest another path? Roughly goes like:

1) Rename the present class to "OldScenarioTest", set the original name to
point to it (ScenarioTest=OldScenarioTest) (in a single commit)

2) Create a new class NewScenarioTest (initially a copy of the old one?),
development/refactoring/rewrite happens there, do not merge any new
features in OldScenarioTest

3) add a tempest config option "USE_NEW_SCENARIO_MANAGER", False by default

4) conditionally on the value of USE_NEW_SCENARIO_MANAGER set the
ScenarioTest to point to OldScenarioTest or NewScenarioTest

5) add a gate job(s) to tempest that forces USE_NEW_SCENARIO_MANAGER to
True to test the new code, non-voting from the start, gate on it later

This way the projects using tempest plugins and other tempest consumers
will not be affected at all. Later each project on its jobs using tempest
can try to enforce USE_NEW_SCENARIO_MANAGER to True if wishing to test the
new one or switch to it when it is ready. Eventually when new one is
stable, the config option might be removed and new class renamed to the
name of the original class.

The only downside of such approach I see might be a small? explosion of
number of jobs in the tempest project (running on both new and old
manager), but I'd think at least in the beginning of this refactoring
effort the tempest team would like to have the number of jobs testing the
new manager limited any way.

I might be completely wrong with this advice, as I presume tempest team
have put a lot of thinking into this problem already. But still, could you
consider such approach?

Cheers,

Dr. Pavlo Shchelokovskyy
Senior Software Engineer