[openstack-dev] [cross-project][nova][cinder][designate][neutron] Common support-matrix.py

Mike Perez thingee at gmail.com
Wed Mar 1 23:53:02 UTC 2017

Hey all,

I kicked off a thread [1] to start talking about approaches with improving
vendor discoveribility by improving our Market Place [2]. In order to improve
our market place, having the projects be more part of the process would allow
the information to be more accurate of what vendors have good support in the
respected service.

It was discovered that we have a common solution of using INI files and parsing
that with a common support-matrix.py script that originated out of nova [3].
I would like to propose we push this into some common sphinx extension project.
Are there any suggestions of where that could live?

I've look at how Nova [3][4], Neutron [5][6] and Designate [7][8] are doing
this today. Nova and Neutron are pretty close, and Designate is a much more
simplified version. Cinder [9][10] is not using INI files, but instead going
off the driver classes themselves. Are there any other projects I'm missing?

Cinder and Designate have drivers per row, as oppose to Nova and Neutron
which have features per row. This makes sense given the difference in drivers
versus features?

I'm assuming the Designate matrix is saying every driver supports every feature
in its API? If so, that's so awesome and makes me happy.

I would like to start brainstorming on how we can converge on a common matrix
table design so things are a bit more consistent and easier for a common
parsing tool.

[1] - http://lists.openstack.org/pipermail/openstack-dev/2017-January/110151.html
[2] - https://www.openstack.org/marketplace/drivers/
[3] - https://docs.openstack.org/developer/nova/support-matrix.html#operation_maintenance_mode