[openstack-dev] [QA]Refactoring Scenarios manager.py

Sean Dague sean at dague.net
Wed Mar 1 13:20:36 UTC 2017

On 03/01/2017 08:03 AM, Andrea Frittoli wrote:

> On Wed, Mar 1, 2017 at 12:54 PM Sean Dague <sean at dague.net
> <mailto:sean at dague.net>> wrote:
>
>     On 03/01/2017 07:35 AM, Jordan Pittier wrote:
>     >
>     >
>     > On Wed, Mar 1, 2017 at 3:57 AM, Ghanshyam Mann
>     <ghanshyammann at gmail.com <mailto:ghanshyammann at gmail.com>
>     > <mailto:ghanshyammann at gmail.com <mailto:ghanshyammann at gmail.com>>>
>     wrote:
>     >
>     >     Doing gradual refactoring and fixing plugins time to time
>     needs lot
>     >     of wait and sync.
>     >
>     >     That needs:
>     >     1. Plugins to switch from current method usage. Plugins to
>     have some
>     >     other function or same copy paste code what current scenario base
>     >     class has.
>     >     2. Tempest patch to wait for plugin fix.
>     >     3. Plugins to switch back to stable interface once Tempest
>     going to
>     >     provide those.
>     >
>     >     This needs lot of sync between tempest and plugins and we have to
>     >     wait for tempest refactoring patch for long.
>     >
>     >     To make it more efficient, how about this:
>     >     1. Keep the scenario manger copy in tempest as it is. for plugins
>     >     usage only.
>     >
>     > Given that the refactoring effort "started" a year ago, at the current
>     > speed it may take 2 years to complete. In the mean time we will have a
>     > massive code duplication and a maintenance burden.
>     >
>     >     2. Start refactoring the scenario framework by adding more and
>     more
>     >     helper function under /common or lib.
>     >
>     > Starting a "framework" (each time I see that word, I have a bad
>     feeling)
>     > from scratch without users and usage is very very difficult. How do we
>     > know what we need in that framework and what will be actually used in
>     > tests ?
>
>     I'm with Jordan, honestly, common functions and inheritance aren't going
>     to help anyway. My feeling is that the only way to sanely take things
>     forward is to start pivoting towards fixtures. And basically error if
>     inheritance is used in tests. The functions on base classes is what is
>     causing all the pain of rewind, because it's not a contract, but it's
>     also magically there, so people try to use it.
>
>     This would mean that every test would have more setUp with a bunch of
>     explicit fixtures, but that's fine, it's a little more time thinking
>     through the writing of the tests, and a lot easier to read them to know
>     what is going on, and to delete them later. Basically get rid of all
>     class/superclass magic.

> [...]

So, as someone who is only an infrequence Tempest contributor now, I
personally have a pretty hard time with the magic credentials, because
it's super non obvious to me what a new test would give me off a blank
page, or how I would expose that.

More or less I had to just find Matt and ask him what to do, and then
have Jordan propose a different fix once he saw the patch. That's really
people intensive, and I think at least as big a scalability problem as
anything else.

That being said, there are only 46 scenario tests. They totally could be
rewritten in an ideal way as examples and deprecate / rot out the
existing scenario tests (including base classes).

	-Sean

--
Sean Dague
http://dague.net