[openstack-dev] [tripleo] CI Squad Meeting Summary (week 26) - job renaming discussion

Jiří Stránský jistr at redhat.com
Fri Jun 30 15:06:02 UTC 2017

On 30.6.2017 15:04, Attila Darazs wrote:
> = Renaming the CI jobs =
>
> When we started the job transition to Quickstart, we introduced the
> concept of featuresets[1] that define a certain combination of features
> for each job.
>
> This seemed to be a sensible solution, as it's not practical to mention
> all the individual features in the job name, and short names can be
> misleading (for example ovb-ha job does so much more than tests HA).
>
> We decided to keep the original names for these jobs to simplify the
> transition, but the plan is to rename them to something that will help
> to reproduce the jobs locally with Quickstart.
>
> The proposed naming scheme will be the same as the one we're now using
> for job type in project-config:
>
> gate-tripleo-ci-centos-7-{node-config}-{featureset-config}
>
> So for example the current "gate-tripleo-ci-centos-7-ovb-ha-oooq" job
> would look like "gate-tripleo-ci-centos-7-ovb-3ctlr_1comp-featureset001"

I'd prefer to keep the job names somewhat descriptive... If i had to
pick one or the other, i'd rather stick with the current way, as at
least for me it's higher priority to see descriptive names in CI results
than saving time on finding featureset file mapping when needing to
reproduce a job result. My eyes scan probably more than a hundred of
individual CI job results daily, but i only need to reproduce 0 or 1 job
failures locally usually.

Alternatively, could we rename "featureset001.yaml" into
"featureset-ovb-ha.yaml" and then have i guess something like
"gate-tripleo-ci-centos-7-ovb-3ctlr_1comp-ovb-ha" for the job name?
Maybe "ovb" would be there twice, in case it's needed both in node
config and featureset parts of the job name...

Or we could pull the mapping between job name and job type in an
automated way from project-config.

(Will be on PTO for a week from now, apologies if i don't respond timely
here.)

Have a good day,

Jirka